Sophie is a Lawyer in our Personal and Family Department.
- Sophie studied law at the Northumbria University, before completing the CILEx qualifications in order to qualify as a Chartered Legal Executive
- Sophie started working in the Private Client Sector in March 2015 and since then has specialised in private client work
- Sophie is very experienced in the drafting of wills and the administration of estates, as well as the preparation and administration of trusts. However, her main area of focus relates to Court of Protection matters and supporting those who are vulnerable and incapacitated, including those who have suffered serious injuries and have been awarded compensation payments
- Sophie acts as a professional deputy and has significant experience dealing with applications for the appointment of both professional and lay deputies, completing statutory will applications and inheritance tax planning/advancement of capital gift
- Sophie provides advice and completes the preparation of personal injury trusts on behalf of those who receive compensation claims and also makes applications for attorneys in order to set up personal injury trusts on behalf of individuals who have lost capacity and receive compensation awards
- Sophie acts as the North East Representative for a number of charities, both local and national, and provides advice to their service users on the preparation of wills, lasting powers of attorney, trusts, specifically vulnerable persons trusts, and Court of Protection matters
- Sophie was the social representative within the Junior Lawyers Division North East and sat on the committee for over 5 years
- Sophie’s work is supervised by a senior associate or partner within the Wills and Probate Team
- The wills and probate team won team of the year at the 2019 Northern Law Awards.
Outside of work Sophie enjoys reading and attends a regular book club, she loves to travel and keeps active as much as possible.
The Legal 500 2019 described the private client team as “professional at all times. All the staff are polite and pleasant, they are quick to respond to queries.”
The private client team won praise from the Legal 500 2017 being hailed as “excellent”. In the 2018 Guide the team was highly rated for its “professional efficient and friendly approach.“
The Chambers UK 2019 Guide described the personal tax, trusts and probate team as being “highly professional and offering solid advice, clearly given, followed by efficient and timely preparation of the relevant documentation.”
The private client team was hailed as “pleasant, courteous and, from my experience, efficient.” in the Chambers UK 2020 Guide with another client saying “It’s an excellent service, overall, and I would not hesitate to use the firm again.“
Key Practice Areas
- Inheritance tax planning
- Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Vulnerable Persons Trusts
- Personal Injury Trusts
- Inheritance tax planning