Sophie is a Lawyer in our Personal and Family Department.
- Sophie studied law at the University of Northumbria and has recently completed her Chartered Legal executive exams and is currently a Graduate Member of CILEx
- Since starting to work within the Private Client sector in March 2015, Sophie has specialised in Court of Protection matters, including dealing with applications for deputyship for both property and finances and health and welfare, statutory will applications, inheritance tax planning/advancement of capital gifts and assisting professional deputies with the management of deputyship appointments, primarily supporting individuals with their financial management
- Sophie has developed an expertise preparing straightforward and bespoke wills, inheritance tax planning, the administration of estates and the preparation and registration of powers of attorney
- Sophie has experience in the preparation of trusts, including personal injury trusts alongside the day to day management of trusts
- Sophie was the social representative within the Junior Lawyers Division North East and sat on the committee for over 5 years
- Sophie’s work is supervised by an associate or partner within the Wills and Probate Team
- The wills and probate team won team of the year at the 2019 Northern Law Awards
The private client team won praise from the Legal 500 2017 being hailed as “excellent”. In the 2018 Guide the team was highly rated for its “professional efficient and friendly approach“.
The Chambers UK 2019 Guide described the personal tax, trusts and probate team as being “highly professional and offering solid advice, clearly given, followed by efficient and timely preparation of the relevant documentation.”
Outside of work Sophie enjoys reading and attends a regular book club, she loves to travel and keeps active as much as possible.
Key Practice Areas
- Court of Protection
- Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Probate and estate administration
- Inheritance tax planning