Paul is a senior associate in the Personal & Family Department. He has a wealth of experience in advising clients on a wide range of private client matters.
- Paul studied law at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne and completed his LPC at the University of Northumbria. During his time at Newcastle University, he was awarded the prize for the best performance in the area of Equity & Trusts
- Since qualifying as a solicitor in 2008, Paul has specialised in private client work. Paul trained at a prestigious firm based in Chester and North Wales
- Paul has developed an expertise in the administration of estates, including those with business assets, agricultural land and foreign property. He has considerable experience preparing straightforward and bespoke wills, advising on succession planning and inheritance tax for business owners and preparing lasting powers of attorney. Paul is experienced in preparing personal injury trusts and other lifetime trusts and in advising trustees on their role
- Paul is experienced in Court of Protection matters, including dealing with applications for Deputyship, inheritance tax planning/advancement of capital gifts, statutory will applications and the removal of incapacitated trustees
- Paul is a full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Paul is an Associate Member of Solicitors for the Elderly and a Dementia Friend
- The Wills, Trusts & Probate Team won Private Client Team of the year at the 2019 Northern Law Awards.
In his free time, Paul enjoys spending time with his family and travelling. Paul enjoys foreign cuisine and socialising.
Paul was described as a ‘rising star’ in the Legal 500 in 2019 and as having “significant experience but is also very personable”.
Paul was rated highly by Legal 500 2017, which praised him for being “very strong with clients, putting them at ease and clearly explaining complex issues”. The 2018 edition also highly rated Paul for his “very caring and responsive manner”.
Key Practice Areas
- Probate & estate administration
- Lasting powers of attorney
- Court of Protection
- Inheritance tax planning