Matt Collen is a Partner in the Corporate and Commercial Department specialising in a broad range of company and commercial work.
- Advising on mergers and acquisitions for SMEs and larger corporates, and overseas clients
- Private equity work for investors and investees
- Management Buyouts
- Advising both lenders and borrowers on debt and mezzanine facilities and associated security
- Buying and selling businesses and assets from and for administrators and liquidators, including through a “pre-pack” structure
- Shareholder agreements and joint ventures including international joint ventures
- Commercial agreements
- Corporate insolvency
- The corporate and commercial team won team of the year at the 2019 Northern Law Awards
The Legal 500 2021 said ‘Matt Collen has excellent experience and is a very practical and calm legal adviser. Matt is great at setting out a range of options and advising on the best course of action.’
He was described by the Legal 500 2016 as being “commercial, pragmatic, knowledgeable and a good negotiator” and has “expertise” in private equity transactions.
Matt is known for his proactive and positive manner underpinned by sound legal knowledge and a wealth of experience. Clients frequently describe him as “exceptionally pragmatic”.
Chambers & Partners
The Chambers UK 2021 Guide highlighted Matt as a “notable practitioner”.
The Chambers UK 2020 Guide highlighted Matt as a ”notable practitioner” commenting on “wide range of skills and knowledge to handle various matters.”
The Chambers UK 2019 Guide described Matt as being “constructive and technically strong”. A client noted: “His manner and ability to grasp key issues is very welcome. You can have a quick conversation with him and come away feeling you’ve got something out of it.” The Guide also described the Corporate team as having “Excellent service levels. They are very responsive and commercially minded.”
The Chambers UK 2018 Guide described Matt as being is a “very professional and thorough” practitioner, who gives clients “confidence through his support and guidance.”
Matt was ranked highly and recognised as being a notable practitioner in the Chambers UK 2017 Guide, which said: ‘the “excellent” Matt Collen is well regarded for undertaking complex transactions in the financial services industry as well as offshore matters’. Clients are impressed by his “pragmatic approach.”
Key Practice Areas
- Banking & Finance
- Business Support & Restructuring
- Corporate Finance & Private Equity
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Corporate Recovery & Insolvency