David joined Sintons in September 2019 as a Partner and specialises in Dispute Resolution.
David has over 15 years’ experience as a commercial litigator, providing strategic advice and creative dispute solutions for national and multinational businesses, including global brands, FTSE 100 companies and fast-growth SME’s.
David leads on complex and high value claims, including breach of contract, company law and partnership disputes, professional negligence, fraud actions and probate and trusts litigation. He has extensive experience in pursuing and defending proceedings for injunctive relief relating to breach of duty, post-termination restrictions and confidentiality.
David also has significant expertise in in the law surrounding reputation; particularly social media, privacy and defamation, with focus on the energy, retail and healthcare sectors.
- David led a team of 10 lawyers in successfully defending a number of interrelated interim injunction applications by a public limited company in relation to a team move of over 120 individuals, thereafter negotiating settlement of the ensuing litigation by way of mediation
- He successfully obtained an urgent injunction to stop the disclosure and use of confidential and sensitive business information
- David acted for a global supermarket chain on an urgent basis to avoid the publication of a threatened press release by an international fashion label in relation to defamatory allegations of intellectual property infringement by the supermarket in its partnership with a German supermodel
- He provided advice to the in-house legal team of a Japanese multinational electronics corporation in relation to the removal of defamatory reviews posted on amazon.com relating to televisions
- David successfully resolved contentious probate litigation involving claims for proprietary estoppel and under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975
- He advised a provider of cloud Contact Centre Solutions & IPT telephony on the termination and the related claims for breach of a multi-layered IT and software contract to provide a telecommunications platform for various NHS Contracts
- David acted for an investment broker in an introducer agreement dispute with an asset management company for payment of commission on an investment of USD 11,000,000.00
- He successfully resolved a claim by an urban regeneration specialist against a national supermarket for liquidated damages arising from delay to completion under an agreement for the sale and development of land
Chambers and Partners 2019 identified David as an ‘Associate to Watch’, noting that clients describe him as ‘approachable and knowledgeable’.
David is praised as ‘impressive’ in the Legal 500 2019 and recognised for his niche in privacy and defamation matters.
Outside of work David is a keen sportsman, with a particular interest in football, cycling, cricket and golf. He enjoys reading history and exploring the North East with his young family.
Key Practice Areas
- Dispute Resolution
- Commercial Disputes
- Defamation & Privacy
- Contentious Probate
- Professional Negligence