Licensing intellectual property enables you to retain ownership of your intellectual property while permitting others to make some use of it.
The nature of the licensing agreement needed depends on the IP you are licensing. Licensing also depends on having the necessary rights in the first place, so first make sure that you own these.
Licensing intellectual property rights will generally involve negotiations with the rights holder, followed by drawing up of the appropriate agreement, which may cover things such as:
- What rights are being bought or licensed;
- Where the licensee can use those rights (geographic scope or limitations);
- For how long those rights may be licensed;
- Any limitations on how those rights can be used by the licensee; &
- How much the licensee is going to pay, and whether there is an ongoing royalty obligation.
If we can assist you in any way, or if you simply want to discuss any intellectual property issue, please contact us at any time.