Applying for a divorce

There is only one ground for a divorce and that is the irretrievable breakdown of a marriage.

A husband or wife can apply to the Court for a divorce, so long as they have been married for at least one year.

The person who commences the divorce proceedings is called the 'petitioner' and their spouse is called the 'respondent'.

There may be another party to the divorce if the petition is based on allegations of adultery, called the 'co-respondent'.

However, the Court rules discourage involving another party in the process, and it is usually not necessary.

For anything further, one of our specialists would be delighted to meet you to talk through your options and answer any questions. Please contact us at any time.