Drafting & negotiating your contracts
The importance of setting up well drafted contracts at the outset of a project cannot be underestimated. They act as a rule book for the project, setting out the risks, responsibilities and obligations on the parties.
Additionally, it is often a condition precedent to development funding that your contracts are institutionally acceptable, and engaging a solicitor early may avoid costly delays to your project funding.
Construction & engineering contracts are often complicated, with detailed provisions and documents. Our team are experienced in dealing with a wide range of industry standard form contracts including JCT, NEC, ICE, IChemE and FIDIC together with the bespoke amendments that often accompany those contracts.
We offer specialist expertise and experience in drafting and negotiating a range of construction & engineering documents, including:
- Building Contracts;
- Professional Appointments;
- Novation Agreements;
- Collateral Warranties and Letters of Reliance; &
- Performance Bonds and Guarantees.
Our team also regularly draft and negotiate provisions within:
- Development Agreements;
- Agreements for Lease; &
- Funding Agreements.
Some examples of recent work undertaken:
- Advising the Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust on a variety of matters including drafting numerous construction & engineering contracts based upon the NEC and JCT suites and carrying out due diligence on the construction documents provided in property transactions;
- Drafting and negotiating the entire suite of construction contracts for a Bedfordshire – based care home operator in respect of a two phased development comprising the construction of a 72 bed nursing home and 42 extra care apartments with a combined build cost of over £10 million;
- Drafting and negotiating the construction contract for the first professional sports club in the North East to install a 3G synthetic pitch as their main playing surface;
- Acting for a large Norfolk – based care home operator, drafting and negotiating the entire suite of construction contracts for the construction of 25 assisted living bungalows and a 60 bed care home with a combined build cost of over £7 million;
- Acting for a housing developer to negotiate a complex Project Management and Development Agreement for the management and construction of a 37 unit development, including profit sharing provisions; &
- Drafting and negotiating the entire suite of construction contracts on behalf of a North East care home provider in respect of a new 52 bed care home for dementia sufferers, with a build cost of over £4.6 million.
If we can assist you in any way, or if you simply want to discuss the needs of your construction and engineering project, we would be delighted to meet with you either in our office or at your office to discuss your issues. Please contact us at any time.